Wednesday 22 April 2015

Gratitude

Sometimes help comes to you from the most unexpected places. You ever felt like consoling random strangers you've seen crying? Not always, but there is something so sad about it, especially when they are by themselves.

Woke up feeling a little shaken after a horrible, horrible dream featuring an auto driver, a tornado, a blues concert at Freedom Park and an old friend from school who I haven't spoken to in many years. Had an excellent breakfast followed by a spectacular fight with my mum. Door slamming, nasty exchange of words, the works.

So here I was in the auto feeling sorry for myself and alone as alone can be, silently sobbing as we made our way through traffic. The auto driver glanced at me in the rear-view mirror a couple of times. By the time I reached office, I had sort of made peace with the situation and was calmer. The sobbing had certainly stopped. I got down to pay the auto driver, who then had a few kind words for me.

He said, "I saw you were upset. Don't take tension (every south Indian's favourite phrase), everything will be ok. You go eat something and sleep for a bit and then when you wake up, everything will be ok." Yaaay, food and sleep - the solution to most problems!

The effect his words had on me was amazing. Almost immediately, it felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. 

It really is wonderful how kind words from strange, unexpected quarters can lift you up. Thank you dear Auto Anna. I'm sure to have a good day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment